The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is a Central Sector Scheme that provides income support to the families of landholding farmers in India. This scheme provides supplement financial support to the farmers to procure various inputs related to agriculture and allied activities and their domestic needs.
PM-KISAN provides income support to all landholding farmers’ families who have cultivable lands. Under this scheme, 100% funding is provided by the Government of India. It aims to supplement the financial needs of farmers in obtaining agriculture inputs for ensuring proper crop health and appropriate yield.
The State Government and UT administration identify the farmer families eligible for financial support under the scheme guidelines. After the beneficiaries are identified, the funds are directly transferred to their bank accounts under this scheme.
Objectives of PM Kisan
- With a view to augment the income of the Small and Marginal Farmers (SMFs), the Government has launched a new Central Sector Scheme, namely, “Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)” in the current financial year.
- The PM-KISAN scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the SMFs in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income at the end of the each crop cycle.
- This would also protect them from falling in the clutches of moneylenders for meeting such expenses and ensure their continuance in the farming activities.
Eligibility of PM Kisan
All land holding eligible farmer families (subject to the prevalent exclusion criteria) are to avail of the benefits under this scheme.
The following categories of beneficiaries of higher economic status shall not be eligible for benefit under the scheme.
- All Institutional Land holders.
- Farmer families in which one or more of its members belong to following categories
- Former and present holders of constitutional posts
- Former and present Ministers/ State Ministers and former/present Members of LokSabha/ RajyaSabha/ State Legislative Assemblies/ State Legislative Councils,former and present Mayors of Municipal Corporations, former and present Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- All serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries /Offices/Departments and its field units Central or State PSEs and Attached offices /Autonomous Institutions under Government as well as regular employees of the Local Bodies (Excluding Multi Tasking Staff /Class IV/Group D employees)
- All superannuated/retired pensioners whose monthly pension is Rs.10,000/-or more (Excluding Multi Tasking Staff / Class IV/Group D employees) of above category
- All Persons who paid Income Tax in last assessment year
- Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with Professional bodies and carrying out profession by undertaking practices.
- Citizenship certificate
- Landholding papers
- Aadhaar card
- Bank account details
Benefits of PM Kisan
Under the PM-KISAN scheme, all landholding farmers’ families shall be provided the financial benefit of Rs. 6000 per annum per family payable in three equal installments of Rs. 2000 each, every four months.
The amount of Rs.6,000 is given in three equal instalments every year as follows:
|Instalment||Period of Payment|
How to apply of PM Kisan
- The eligible farmers may apply with the village Patwaris, revenue officials or other designated officers / agencies and submit their required details to them.
- Farmers can also visit their nearest Common Service Centres (CSCs) for registration in the Scheme upon payment of fees.
- Farmers can also do their self-registration through the Farmers Corner in the PM KISAN portal.
- Details required for registration include Name, Age, Gender, Category(SC/ST), Aadhaar Number (in case Aadhaar Number has not been issued then Aadhaar Enrollment Number together with any other prescribed documents for purposes of the identification such as Driving Licence, Voters’ ID Card, NREGA Job Card, or any other identification documents issued by Central/State/UT Governments or their authorities,etc.), Bank Account Number and the Mobile Number of the beneficiaries.
On the official website of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana – pmkisan.gov.in, there’s a section called the ‘farmers’ corner’. Farmers can register themselves through the Farmers Corner in the portal. They can also edit the name in PM-Kisan database and know the status of their payment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the beneficiaries under the PM KISAN scheme be identified and shortlisted for payment of the benefits under the scheme?
The state government or the UT government is solely responsible for identifying the eligible farmers’ families for providing benefits under this scheme. After registration of the farmers on the PM KISAN portal, the prevailing record of lands or land ownership systems in different states or UT’s will be used to identify and shortlist the beneficiaries for transferring the benefits under this scheme.
What is the reason for not getting the PM KISAN scheme instalment?
- The instalment of the PM KISAN scheme can stop for many reasons. Some of the common reasons are
- The name provided on the PM KISAN portal at the time of registration does not match with the name registered in the bank account.
- Due to errors in the bank’s details, such as IFSC code and account number, the instalment can not reach the account.
- The difference in the name in the Aadhar card or pan card may be a reason for not getting the amount of the instalment.
Can the details provided on the PM KISAN portal be changed?
Yes. The details given at the time of registration can be edited or changed on the PM KISAN portal. The process for changing the details provided on the PM KISAN registration is as follows:
Go to the official PM KISAN portal.
Scroll down to ‘Farmers Corner’ and click on the ‘Beneficiary Status’ button.
The ‘Edit Self Registered Farmer Details’ page will open.
Enter the Aadhar number and Captcha and click on the ‘Search’ button and edit the information.
Will the benefit under the PM KISAN scheme be directly credited into the account of the beneficiaries?
The benefit of Rs.2,000 per instalment will be directly credited into the bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
Are farmers situated in urban areas eligible for receiving benefits under the PM KISAN scheme?
Yes. There is no distinction between the rural and urban cultivable land under the scheme. Thus, both the farmers situated in rural and urban areas are covered under the scheme, provided that the lands situated in urban areas are under actual cultivation.
Can farmers avail the benefit of the PM KISAN scheme against agricultural land being used for non-agricultural purposes?
No. The agricultural land being used for non-agricultural purposes are not covered under the scheme. Only the farmers having cultivable land used for agricultural purposes are eligible for receiving benefits under the scheme.